Mail-order abortion ⎼ sounds like a simple and easy process, but there are real risks to consider for your safety. If you’re considering this type of abortion, it’s essential to learn about the process before your abortion decision. Medication abortion can have a significant impact on your future and your health.
1. Determine How Far Along You Are
First and foremost, how far along are you? The gestational age determines if you are even eligible for mail-order abortion using medication.
The FDA shares that medication abortion is only recommended for women up to 70 days gestation. Otherwise, surgical abortion may be your only other abortion option.
Confirm how far along you are with an ultrasound after receiving lab-quality pregnancy testing at our center. This step is necessary to move forward with any type of abortion.
2. The Risks of Mail-Order Abortion
Medication abortion has safety guards put into place for a reason. When considering mail-order abortion, also known as online abortion, there are risks to keep in mind, including:
- Possible unverified chemicals in the abortion pills online
- The lack of a pre-abortion screening can put women’s health in danger
- Possible unverified dosage which could lead to an incomplete abortion and life-threatening effects
- Potential unlisted risks and side effects of abortion pills online since a lot are overseas and do not meet the FDA guidelines
If you live in Texas, mail-order abortion is not an option for you. While some overseas companies may ship here, it’s illegal to order the abortion pill online in the state.
There are also physical risks of medication abortion to consider. There are two different drugs taken to terminate an existing pregnancy: mifepristone and misoprostol. Possible risks of these two drugs include:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing unwanted pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
3. Know All Your Options
You could feel like mail-order abortion is your only option, but it’s vital to get informed about all your options: abortion, making an adoption plan, and parenting. Talk confidentially and with no pressure with our compassionate team at Hope Women’s Center.
All of our services and support are at no cost to you. Get the clarity you need today by scheduling a free and confidential appointment. We are here for you.